Basava Jayanti is the birthday of the acclaimed founder of the Lingayat form of Hinduism, named “Basavanna.”
|Utility: UPSC, JPSC, BPSC Prelims & Mains
Section: History, Art & Culture: Social reformers | Personalities in News
About Jagadguru Basaveshwara
- Basava Jayanthi is celebrated in honor of Mahatma Basaveshwar who was a famous Philosopher, Statesman, Social Reformer, and Saint in the Shaivism Bhakti Movement during the 12th Century.
- The famous Saint was born in 1105 CE to a family of Shiva devotees in the Northern parts of Karnataka.
- He introduced the practice of wearing Ishtalinga necklace which symbolizes Lord Shiva and is worn by all Lingayats.
- He was an ardent follower of Shaivism and spread his philosophy during the Bhakti movement in Southern India.
- Lord Basava put forward the idea that temple worship and rituals propagated could be replaced by a different form of devotion.
- It focused mainly on personal and direct worship of Lord Shiva through symbols like the Shiva Linga.
- Basavanna spread social awareness through his poetry known as Vachana